Some of the best breads in Singapore are the locally-made flatbreads including Maya ‘prata’ and Indian ‘naan’ and ‘chapati’ which can be found in any local hawker center or food court. Singapore is also known for its Perankan pastries, or ‘kuehs’, and Chinese ‘bao’, meat- or vegetable-stuffed rice buns. Additionally, a number of fantastic European-style bakeries can also be widely found around the island, some with numerous locations. These bakeries usually open for typical business hours of 9 or 10 am until early evening.
- Simply Bread: A large selection of freshly baked breads and sandwiches, 1, 5th Avenue, #01-03 Guthrie House, 3 Philip St, #01-02 Commerce Pt, 501 Bukit Timah Rd, 01-01 Cluny Court, Raffles Blvd, 01-92, 120 Robinson Rd, Tel: 6466 7767.
- BreadTalk: Variety of baked breads and pastries, both Asian and international, 20 different locations in major shopping centers, Tel: 6285 6116.
- Bakerzin: Offers fresh breads, pastries, sandwiches, and other prepared foods, as well as delivery service, multiple locations including Paragon, Suntec City, Takashimaya, and Vivo City.
- Cedele: Bread, pastries and cakes baked daily using all natural ingredients, multiple locations, including Raffles City, Great World City, and Jelita, Tel: 6836 1426.
- Choupinette: French bakery offering pastries, cakes and French specialties, #01-01, 607 Bukit Timah Road, Tel: 6466 0613.
- Laurent’s Cafe & Chocolate Bar (formerly The Chocolate Factory): A chocolaterie and specialty cake shop, The Pier at Robertson Quay, 80 Mohamed Sultan Rd, #01-11, Tel: 6235 9007.
- Paul: French bakery and patisserie. Very popular with both expats and locals alike. Three locations: Tanglin Mall, Ngee Ann City and Ocean Financial Center.
- Phoon Huat & Company Holland Village: Specialty suppliers for all baking needs, also offers baking classes, Holland Village, Blk 44, Jalan Merah Saga, #01-48 Chip Bee Garden, Tel: 6471 5250.
- The Patissier: Offers traditional French cakes and pastries, 18 Ann Siang Road or 4 Mohd Sultan Road, #01-01, Tel: 6220 5565 / 6737 3369.