While the local culture offers so many new opportunities and experiences, finding a group of people with similar backgrounds and interests can make the transition to Singapore far easier. Many nationality-based groups exist, and most are very active. Furthermore, a number of social clubs serve to bring together expatriate communities through events and programming at their clubhouses.
Expatriate Groups and Associations
- L’Association Française de Singapour – French social association.
163 Penang Road #05-01 Singapore 238463, Tel: +65 6735 4555
- American Association Of Singapore – Umbrella American Association offering international membership, events, and the Career Resource Center for Expatriates. The American Club, 1 Claymore Hill, Singapore 228219, Tel : +65 6738 0371
- American Women’s Association – Active group of expatriate women involved in numerous social, special interest, sports, and community outreach activities; international membership. The American Club, 1 Claymore Hill, Singapore 228219, Tel: +65 6734 4895
- Australian & New Zealand Association – Very active group, especially related to sports and social activities, with a large membership. 47A Kampong Bahru Road, Singapore 169361, Tel : +65 6223 7992
- British Association of Singapore – Large group with numerous weekly activities related to sport and socializing.
1 Selegie Road #08-26 Paradiz Centre Singapore 188306, Tel: +65 6339 8229
- Canadian Association of Singapore – A smaller but active group with close ties to the American organizations. 21 Scotts Road Singapore 228219 Tel: +65 6734 5954 Fax: +65 6738 2726
- German Club (Deutsches Haus) – A very established European social club with members tied to the Swiss Club’s clubhouse. 36 Watten Rise Watten Estate Singapore 287342 Tel : +65 6467 8802
- Kowloon Club– Association of Hong Kong emigrants gathering for sport and socializing. 9 Stadium Link Singapore 397750 Tel : +65 6440 9237
- Korean Association – Social club for large Korean community in Singapore. 27 Foch Road #02-07/08 Singapore 209264 Tel: +65 6299 8966
- The Belgium & Luxemborg Association, promotes Belgian- Luxembourg and Singaporean exchanges in the economy, culture, and academics, and organizes social and recreational events. Ulu Pandan Road #16-406 Blk 4 Pandan Valley Singapore 597628 Tel: +65 6469.2933
Private Expatriate Clubs
A number of beautiful private expatriate clubhouses are in operation in Singapore, often with mixed international membership and highly variant membership costs. Private club membership on the whole is relatively expensive upon initial investment, but provides a fantastic social outlet, excellent facilities and often very affordable monthly dues and dining.
- British Club– An established club off Bukit Timah Road with a British ambiance. 73 Bukit Tinggi Road Singapore 289761, Tel: 6467 4311
- The American Club – A beautiful yet casual clubhouse with excellent sports facilities and social events, a nearly all-American membership,, 21 Scotts Rd American Club Singapore 228219, Tel: 6737 3411
- The Tanglin Club– A more formal, well established club of mixed local and foreign membership with excellent sports facilities and a new sporting wing, 5 Stevens Road, Singapore 257814, Tel: 6622 0555
- The Pines– A relaxed club near downtown with mixed international and local membership. 30 Stevens Road, Singapore 257840, Tel: 6735 2288
- The Swiss Club – A smaller, very family-oriented club in a beautiful colonial building. 36 Swiss Club Rd Singapore 288139, Tel : 6466 3233
- Hollandse Club – A casual family-oriented club with a large Dutch and German membership. 22 Camden Park Singapore 299814, Tel: 6469 5211
- The Japanese Association Singapore – An active, elite Japanese club located near Adam Road and Bukit Timah. 120 Adam Rd Singapore 289899, Tel: 6468 0066
- Singapore Polo Club – Offers a beautiful clubhouse with a nice veranda overlooking the polo fields just off Thompson Road,, 80 Mt Pleasant Rd, Tel: 6256 4530
- Singapore Recreation Club – A very established local recreational club on the Padang, with some memberships available and open for expatriates.
- Singapore Cricket Club – A lovely established clubhouse on the Padang with an active local and international membership focused on sport including cricket, tennis, and football. A Connaught Dr, Tel : 6338 9271
Business and Professional Organizations
Foreign chambers of commerce are very active in Singapore and often co-program for networking events, advocacy programs, and social events.
- American Chamber of Commerce: The AmCham promotes the interests of members in Singapore and the region by providing advocacy, business information and networking opportunities. 1 Scotts Road, #23-03/04 Shaw Centre Singapore 228208, Tel: 6235 0077 Fax: 6732 5917.
- Australian Chamber of Commerce: An organization which fosters business links between Australia and Singapore. 25 Napier Road, Australian High Commission Building, Level 3, Singapore 258507, Tel: 6738 7917 Fax: 6738 7916.
- British Chamber of Commerce:The BritCham helps to create stronger business links between Singapore and Britain and organizes networking events and presentations for its members. 138 Cecil Street, #11-01 Cecil Court, Singapore 069538, Tel: 6222 3552 Fax: 6222 3556.
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Singapore: The Chamber presents and organizes a variety of activities that allow members to broaden their business contacts, promote their company. 10 Claymore Hill, Singapore 229573, Tel: 6734 5954 Fax: 6738 2726,
- Dutch Chamber of Commerce: Promotes commercial and economic interests of members in Singapore and the region by providing advocacy, business information and networking opportunities. 541 Orchard Road #13-01, Liat Towers, Singapore, Tel: 6739 1112
- EuroCham: The European Chamber of Commerce Singapore, known as EuroCham,founded by the European National Business Groups, speak with a common and stronger voice on European issues. 350 Orchard Road, #13-09 Shaw House, Singapore 238868, Tel: 6836 6681 Fax: 6235 1877,
- French Chamber of Commerce in Singapore: The mission of the FCCS is to develop relations between its members and the Singaporean business community. 541 Orchard Road, #09-01 Liat Towers, Singapore 238881, Tel: 6735 5523 Fax: 6735 5394.
- Italian Chamber of Commerce: The ICCS is a non profit organization connecting Italian businesses in Singapore. 89 Neil Road, #01-01, Singapore 088849, Tel: 6223 0356 Fax: 6223 0357.
- New Zealand Chamber of Commerce: The chamber seeks to promote business and social links between people, businesses and organizations with an interest in New Zealand and Singapore. #15-06 Ngee Ann City, Tower A, 391A Orchard Road, Singapore 238873, Tel: 6235 7119 Fax: 6737 6784.
- PrimeTime Business and Professional Women’s Association: Established by, and for, international business and professional women in Singapore. The PrimeTime community provides over 90 activities each year to meet the professional, social and community outreach interests of its membership, Tel: 6234 0973.
- Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce: Established first in 1924 as the Indian Merchants Association, the SICCI is an independent, non-profit organization with over 500 members. 101 Cecil Street, #23 – 01/04, Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069533, Tel: 6222 2855 / 6222 2505 Fax: 6223 1707.
- Singapore Malay Chamber of Commerce & Industry: The Chamber was formed by a group of Malay businessmen with the aim to assist and co-operate with one another and exchange information for mutual benefits. 72A, Bussorah Street, Singapore 199485, Tel: 6297 9296 Fax: 6392 4527
- Singaporean German Chamber of Industry & Commerce:It is part of a network of 120 offices of the German Chambers of Industry and Commerce, in 80 countries.25 International Business Park #03-105 German Centre, Singapore 609916, Tel: 6562 8500 Fax: 6562 8510.
There also exist a plethora of special interest groups and clubs focusing on particular pastimes. While some are very exclusive, expensive clubs, others are relaxed associations with inexpensive dues.
- Bukit Timah Saddle Club – 51 Fairways Dr Tel : 6466 2782
- Changi Beach Club– 2 Andover Rd Tel : 6542 6855
- Changi Sailing Club– 32 Netheravon Rd Tel : 6545 2876 Singapore
- Singapore Adventurers’ Club – 74B Lor 27 Geylang Tel : 6749 0557
- Singapore Chess Federation– 51 Bishan St 13 #02-01A Tel : 6352 9691
- Photographic Society of Singapore– 30 Selegie Road, Selegie Arts Centre, Singapore 180030.Tel +65 6334 3361
- Singapore Motor Sports Association – 9 Lock Rd #03-01 Tel : 6227 7889
- Singapore Senior Golfers’ Society – 257 Selegie Rd #03-294A Selegie Complex Tel : 6337 1142
- Singapore Tennis Association– 100 Tyrwhitt Road, #04-02, (Jalan Besar Swimming Complex) Tel: 6295 2283