Singtel, Starhub and M1 are the three Internet broadband service providers available in Singapore. Installing the Internet is a relatively simple process. The best method of arranging services is to visit the providers retail store. Make sure you take your passport/Singapore employment pass, evidence of your address and your rental contract if you do not own the property. Stores can be located via the provider’s websites:
One must simply sign a contract with one of the service providers (for either 12- or 24-months), purchase the approved hardware from the provider, and schedule a date for installation. A technician will visit your home with all the required hardware and install the hardware on your behalf. If you want a wireless network you will need to purchase your own wireless router. The entire process usually takes one to three days. The registration processes and documents required for each company are the same as those for fixed telephone or mobile service.
SingTel: Monthly service costs vary according to promotions that are available at the time of signing a contract. At present the download and upload speeds available via Singtel are much lower than those on offer from Starhub and M1. For more information, see their broadband packages.
Starhub: Monthly service costs from Starhub vary according to promotions. There are many different bundles available and the price varies according to the broadband download and upload speeds. See the package builder for further information.
M1: M1 offer both cable and fibre broadband services that range from 5 Mbps to 1000 Mbps. Cablebroad band rates range from $39.00 per month for a 12 month contract to $59.00 per month. For further information see their broadband rates.
Internet cafes can also be found in the city center and in tourist areas, though they’re certainly not on every street corner. Prices typically range from $2-3 hourly.
- Chills Café, 39 Stamford Rd, #01-07 Stamford House, Tel: 6883 1016
- Cyberarena, 11 Stamford Rd, #01-10 Capitol Bldg, Tel: 6333 5739
- Cyberia: 545 Orchard Rd, #02-28 Far East Shopping Centre, Tel: 6732 1309
- G2 Mart, Internet cafe with broadband connection, 1110 East Coast Parkway #01-02, Tel: 6445 3100
- Microvee, Internet cafe with broadband access. Orchard area. 304 Orchard Rd #02-53 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6738 5253
- Speedy Internet Cyber Café, 40 Prinsep St #01-01, Tel: 6336 3998
- Zig Zag Café, 1 Sophia Rd #01-14 Peace Centre, Tel: 6337 2866
Singapore websites often use .sg in their domain names. The following combinations of domain names are common throughout the city: