In a city as large and international as Shanghai is, expats will find many specialized food markets catering to foreign tastes. We mention the largest of the lot, but there are many other small stores with foods from just about any major country in the world.
City Shop (and Supermarket): Founded in 1995, City Shop is the leading retailer of imported food in Shanghai. Their shops are all located at the main high-end business and residential areas in Shanghai including Times Square, Shanghai Centre, New World Department Store, Hong Mei Road and West Side Citigroup Tower Pudong. City Shop carries nearly 10,000 different products, with 80% imported from all over the world. Website: http://www.cityshop.com.cn. Delivery Hotline: 400-811-1797; deliveries over 200 RMB free.
Pines – The Market Place: http://www.chiro.com.cn. This international gourmet supermarket chain has branches in both Puxi and Pudong offering imported groceries, over 1,200 wine labels, fresh cheeses, Australian steak and lamb and organic vegetables and fruits. Branches include:
- The Market Place at 896 Jianhe Road.
- The Market Place Pudong at 633 Biyun Road, Jinqiao.
- The Fresh Mart at 427 Jinfeng Road.
- The Gourmet at 322 Anfu Road.
Carrefour: 268 Shuicheng Nan Lu, Gubei/Hongqiao, near Yan’an Xi lu. Tel: 6209-8899, 6278-1944. Website: http://www.carrefour.com.cn. Open 7:30 am-11 pm. Many other branches in Shanghai.
- Carrefour Quyang : 560 Quyang Lu, Hongkou District, Shanghai 200092; Tel: 558 960 78
- Carrefour Wuning: 20 Wuning Lu, Putuo District, Shanghai 200060; Tel: 623 177 88
- Carrefour Gubei: 268 Shuicheng Nan Lu, Changning District, Shanghai 201130; Tel: 620 988 99
- Carrefour Nanfang: 7388 Humin Lu, Minhang District, Shanghai 201100; Tel: 641 280 56
- Carrefour Baoshan: 5219 GongHeXin Lu, Baoshan District , Shanghai 200435; Tel: 361 145 10
- Carrefour Wanli: 1500 XinCun Lu, Putuo District, Shanghai 200333; Tel: 662 520 18
- Carrefour Jinqiao : 555 Biyun Lu, Pudong District, Shanghai 201206; Tel: 503 068 99
- Carrefour Lianyang: Thumb Plaza, 185 Fangdian Lu, Pudong District, Shanghai; Tel: 800 820 0871
Parkson: The basement of one of Shanghai’s most popular department stores contains a huge grocery store which surprisingly stocks most of the imported items featured at more expensive shops such as City Supermarket, but at generally lower prices. The store’s size can make specialty items a little hard to find among the packets of freeze-dried chicken feet, but don’t let that faze you. Business Hours: 9:30-22:00
- Hongqiao Parkson: 100 Zunyi Road, Changning District, Shanghai 200051; Tel: 021-52574518
- Shanghai Nine Sea Parkson: 918 Huaihai Middle Road, Ruwan District, Shanghai 200020; Tel: 021-64158818
- Xinzhuang Parkson: 5001 Dushi Road Minhang District, Shanghai (Xinzhuang Subway Station South Exit); Tel: 021-34633388
Mediterranean Bakery: 307 GuYang lu in the Gubei area. Tel: 5477 8677; Opening hours: Sunday-Friday 7 am-8 pm
Lotus Food Market:; Stocks a number of American and European grocery items. Stores located at:
- Chang Fa Branch: 1218 Wuzhong Lu; Tel: 6446 2118
- Pudong Branch: 1126 Yanggao Nan Lu; Tel: 5873 1228
- Super Brand Mall Branch: B1-2, SuperBrand Mall, 168 Lujiazui Xi Lu; Tel: 5047 0648
Glenmore’s Deli: Orders may be e-mailed to email@example.com; Orders may be faxed to 5866 2295.
Metro Warehouse: 1425 Zhengbei Road; Tel: 6265 4521. Membership required, but this can be obtained on the spot. Branches include:
- Putuo Store: 1425 Zhengbei Lu; Putuo District; Tel: 6265 8888
- Minghang Store; 80 Gudai Road; Minghang District. Tel: 6480 8888
- Hongkou Store: 418 Guangyue Road; Tel: 6526 8888
- Pudong Store: 382 Baiyang Road; Tel: 689 2888
Korean Market: 1004″ (Chun-Sah). The general area is called Long Bai, but this store is on the corner of Wuzhong Lu and JinHui Nan Lu. Tel: 3432-1004 and 3431-4114 (They also deliver).
Delicious Food Market: Mainly Japanese food. Located in Gubei in the Vanke Commercial Plaza (corner of Shuicheng Nan lu and Huangjincheng Avenue). Tel: 6209 2656. Website: http://www.xinkuaigroup.com. Hours are 9 am to 11 pm.
Shinsen Kan: Japanese and Korean foods. Located in Gubei at the corner of Shuicheng Nan lu and Huangjincheng Avenue (in the inside courtyard of an apartment complex). Open from 7 am until 11 pm.