Radio Communication Option in London
If you have Freeview TV you will have access to a wide range of music stations to play right off your television. Of course, you can also access online radio. If you’re looking for radio stations to listen to while driving you’ll also find a good variety in London. There are many so Expat Info Desk has put together a small list of noteworthy ones:
- BBC World Service (648) – BBC world news.
- Spectrum International Radio (558) – This multicultural station broadcasts in different languages (Italian is one).
- TalkSPORT (1089) – The name of the station says it all!
- BBC Radio 2 (89.1FM) – The target listening audience for this station is 30 years-old and up. The station combines music with talk.
- BBC London (94.9FM) – Interviews, phone-ins, sports coverage and minority programs are covered by this station.
- Capital (95.8FM) – ‘London’s No.1 Hit Music Station’ plays top 40 hits.
- Kiss FM (100.0FM) – Kiss is your station for dance music and new cutting-edge electronic groups.
- Virgin Radio (105.8 FM) – Classic rock and artists like Oasis and Coldplay are played by Virgin.
UK radio stations are either funded by the BBC via the TV license, or independent. If you would like a more detailed listing of London radio stations, consult : http://www.londonradiostations.co.uk/#FM_radio
For radio programmes, you will need the “Radio Times”, on line http://www.radiotimes.com or for sale in every good news-agent. The Radio-Times is an informative magazine which covers a wide range of entertainment.
The BBC operates a radio service in a number of languages. To access its multi-lingual services enter : http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/languages/index.shtml
Polish & French expats have their own London Radios:
French Radio London (listen online) – Programming in French throughout the day with music, weather, news, sport, reviews
Polish Radio London (Polskie Radio Londyn) (DAB and online) – News for the Polish community in London
English-language stations online are:
- Voice of America’s NewsNow
- ABC News
- CBC Radio (Canada)
- RTE (Republic of Ireland)
The Asian Network is a BBC radio service that is available on:
- DAB: 12B
- Freeview: 709
- Freesat: 709
- Sky: 0119
- Virgin Media: 912
- TalkTalk TV: 820