There are hundreds of newspapers and media available in London. Non-local papers like the International Herald Tribune and New York Times are available at many newsstands. Many neighborhood shops will have papers from countries around the world. If you are looking for Middle Eastern news, for example, try Edgware Road in central London.
Broadly speaking there are 4 categories
- Free papers found in public transport and at the entrance of every train and tube station
- Broadsheet “quality” newspapers
- Tabloids such as the Sun which covers gossips
- A couple of printed publication directly aimed at the expatriates
- Evening Standard: http://www.standard.co.uk Free daily newspaper has a strong emphasis on the news from the City of London. On Fridays it includes a free glossy magazine called ES.
- Metro: http://www.metro.co.uk Successful free paper, good for advert and to browse the news while commuting.
- The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk
The Guardian is a relatively liberal paper but has a wide readership. It is available at all news agents, as well as online. The paper covers everything from politics to the arts.
- The Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk
The Times is a more conservative paper. It is also available everywhere, as well as online. The paper covers politics to travel and the arts.
- The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk
The Independent is a left-wing paper for the masses. It covers all topics from a relatively liberal standpoint.
- Financial Times: http://www.ft.com
This paper covers what’s happening in the finance world and includes updates on the day’s market activity. The FT is for you if you work in finance or like to keep up-to-date with world markets, companies, and anything finance-related.
- The Daily Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk The ninth largest daily circulation in the UK and the first broadsheet.
- The Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk
The Sun is known as the working class paper in London. It is a tabloid-style paper that heavily covers celebrity gossip and sports. If you want to learn about Britain’s celebrity culture, this is the paper for you. It is available at news agents and online.
Printed Publications for Expats
- TNT Magazine: http://www.tntmagazine.com/ is a free weekly printed guide to travel, jobs, entertainment and news of particular interest to Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans in London. It is distributed every Monday. The website has events guides, news, and content similar to the magazine.
- Foreigners in UK: http://www.foreignersinuk.co.uk/ is an online magazine providing news and practical information for foreigners in the UK, and those thinking about moving to the UK. It has legal information, recipes from all over the world, and a discussion forum.
- The Weekly Telegraph is published by TMC group, the same publisher as The Daily Telegraph. It is a weekly aimed at expats and international business people published every Wednesday. The on-line version can be read on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/.
Nationality Specific Expat Papers
- The Australian Times is a free weekly newspaper with a website and e-newsletter for Australians in the UK.
- Jungle Drums is a free monthly Brazilian and Latin American magazine that covers Brazilian and Latin American culture, entertainment, lifestyle and music in the UK. It is published in English and Portuguese.
- France in London is a guide, in English, to finding French events, films, restaurants and other French things of interest in London. In addition there is advice for the French living in London.
- Içi Londres is a free monthly magazine with website in French and English providing information and advice for French people in London.
- Cooltura is a free weekly magazine in Polish covering news and cultural events of relevance to the Polish community in London.
- Londynek is a web portal for Polish people living in the UK.
- Ziarul Romanesc is a free weekly newspaper for Romanians in the UK, with reports on immigration issues, and the Romanian community in London and Romania.
- Angliya is a weekly newspaper with website providing news and information in Russian for Russians in the UK.
- PulseUK is a free newspaper and website for the Russian community in London. It covers news, music, cinema, books, culture and sport.
- The South African is a global news service for South Africans living abroad, operated as a website and free weekly newspaper, which is available on Tuesday mornings.
- El Iberico is a free newspaper for London’s Spanish community. It is released every two weeks and distributed from newsstands near tube stations in central London.
For an ads specific paper try the Loot: http://www.loot.com/
London is also where the world famous Thomson-Reuters press agency has its main offices : http://thomsonreuters.com/about/
Here are a few news agents that carry local and international papers in London:
- Drury News: 15 Drury Lane; WC2B 5RB
- Martin: 45 Tothill Street; SW1H 9LQ
- Falstaffs: 47 Marylebone High Street; W1U 5HH