Buying a car in Brussels is relatively simple as there are many new and used car dealers in and around the city. Getting the best deal can sometimes mean visiting the many dealerships and negotiating a price that is acceptable to you. Prices of cars in Belgium are generally comparable to other western European countries and the advantage of buying a car in Belgium if you live here is that financing is simpler to obtain. Used cars in particular can be bought at bargain prices as a result of the transient nature of the city as a result of the limited tenures of employees many of the organisations based in the city.
Generally, it can take a few days from the time of purchase of a new car to the actual delivery of the vehicle as there are details that need to be finalised before the vehicle is allowed on the road. Delivery time can be reduced if you are prepared to do the footwork and go to the Dienst voor Inschrijving van de Voertuigen – DIV –http://www.mobilit.fgov.be/DIVFR/newdiv.htm yourself, though this may result in waiting in a line for a while. Insurance brokers can handle the registration process for you quickly as well, as they can access the online system and have all the documents ready and delivered to you within 48 hours. When buying a car privately, you will have to get the car registered yourself or through your insurance broker (see the “Car insurance” section).
If you visit the DIV to register the car yourself, you will need to present the following documents:
- Proof of purchase.
- Proof of insurance; registration of a car will not be completed until proof of 3rd party insurance is presented.
- A residence card/permit.
- A birth certificate.
For people staying in Belgium temporarily, proof of their residence in another country and a valid identification document are required and temporary plates with your current address in Belgium will be issued.
Below is a list of websites you can use to locate new car dealerships of the most popular car brands around the city. Most dealers will have people who speak English:
New Car Dealerships
- Audi – http://audi.be/
- BMW – http://www.bmw.be/be/
- Honda – http://honda.be/
- Mazda – http://www.mazda.be/
- Mercedes Benz – http://www.mercedes-benz.be/content/belgium/mpc/mpc_belgium_website/nl/home_mpc/passengercars.flash.html
- Toyota – http://www.toyota.be/
- VW – http://be.volkswagen.com/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/be_nl.html
Second-hand Car Dealers
- Econom-car – http://www.economcar.be/frame-en.htm
- Hanciaux – http://www.hanciaux.be/
- Intermobiles – http://www.intermobiles.be/home-en.asp
Websites for Privately Sold Cars
- ebay – http://ebay.be/
- Autozone – http://www.autozone.be/
- Vlan – http://www.vlanauto.be/fr/voiture-occasion-a-vendre