Car Insurance Guide
It is compulsory to have your car insured in Belgium and to carry proof of insurance in the car. Car insurance in Belgium requires payment of VAT and as a result is expensive. The price is determined by make and type of vehicle, horse-power, age of driver/s, place of residence and driving record of driver/s. Typical insurance for a new VW Golf, for example, may cost around 1,200€/yr. Though there are no websites that do side-by-side quote comparisons, with some insurance companies you can request a quote online, and even negotiate the cost if you have a cheaper quote from another company. There are three types of insurance:
- Fully Comprehensive – This type of policy covers most accidents, break-ins etc
- Part Comprehensive – This type of insurance covers fire, theft and the third party.
- Third-party Liability Insurance – Covers damage to a third party’s property in the event of an accident.
- ING – Telephone: 027289111. Website: http://www.ing.be/
- KBC Bank and Insurance – Telephone: 078152153. Website: https://www.kbc.be/
- Allianz – Telephone: 022146111. Website: http://www.allianz.be/
- Ethias -Telephone: 022279900. Website: http://europe.ethias.be/
What to do in the event of an accident
An accident report form, available from the insurance company, must be filled out and signed by all parties involved. Name, address information and insurance details must also be obtained from all parties, as well as witnesses, and car registrations must also be noted. Claims must be submitted within a week of the accident.
This is a card you receive automatically from your insurance company that provides insurance in other countries in Europe. This must always be kept in the car.