Specific Events in Brussels
Belgium has the highest number of festivals in Europe. Most of them music festivals though there are a few that are more traditional.
- Ommegang – Annual medieval pageant festival held at La Grand Place at the beginning of July to commemorate the procession of Emperor Charles V (Charles Quint) through Brussels. Website: http://www.ommegang.be/
- Carnival de Binche – Truly traditional festival, with a carnival theme less than 60 km from Brussels in Binche with festivities usually on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday. Website: http://www.carnavaldebinche.be/
- La Regate des Baignoires (International Regatta of Bathtubs) – Curious festival in Dinant where participants use bathtubs as boats and float down the River Meuse, led by an ostrich-shaped boat. http://baignoires.canalblog.com/
- Brussels Jazz Marathon – Annual jazz, soul, blues, rock and more festival held in Brussels around the end of May with stages constructed on many squares around the city. All events are free of charge. Website: http://www.brusselsjazzmarathon.be/
- Gent Festival – 10 day music/comedy/theatre festival in Gent in July that takes over the city, with stages set up all around the beautiful city centre. Website: http://www.gentsefeesten.be/
- Rockwerchter – Massive 4-day festival in Werchter held in July that brings in some of the biggest names in music. Website: http://www.rockwerchter.be/
A complete list of Brussels festivals can be found at http://eventful.com/brussels/events/categories/festivals_parades and for Belgium in general at http://www.festivals.be.