English-speaking babysitters are tough to find. The best option is generally to look for people advertising themselves on the different media venues or recommendations from friends and colleagues. Belgium uses a system of “Dienstencheques”* (http://www.dienstencheques-rva.be/) that by using a recognized provider, enable you to save on the overall cost of the service. This is done to encourage using registered providers and discourage the use of “black-market” providers. Below is a list of resources for finding baby-sitters.
- Kind and Gezin (Child and Family) – Kind and Gezin is a state organization that offers assistance to parents and children up to 3 years of age. They are a useful resource in that they can recommend baby-sitters in your commune, as well as administering vaccines and other toddler services.http://www.kindengezin.be/English_pages/default.jsp
- http://www.citoyenparent.be/Public/Portail.php – Non-profit organization providing information on finding baby-sitters and more. Tel. +32(0)25077211
- Brussels Nannies – This service is aimed at expats and registration is free. Telephone: 0478541977. Website: http://www.brusselsnannies.com/
- Nannies of Europe – Service providing English-speaking nannies across central Europe. Telephone: +4550235179 Website: http://www.nanniesofeurope.com/
- Simply Angelic – Agency based in the UK specializing in overseas nanny and tutor placements. Telephone: 02078087042. Website: http://www.simplyangelic.co.uk/
- Canguro – Baby-sitting referral service where you must be a member to access services. Babysitters are students and the rate is 6 euro/hour. http://www.canguro.be/canguro/intro.html – French website, but relatively easy to navigate.
- ULB Babysitting Service – Operated by university students, this service may be a cheaper alternative to some named above. Telephone: 026502171.
- http://lili.be/index.do – Website where you can find services like babysitters and more.
- The Bulletin – English-speaking newspaper with a classified section where you may find a baby-sitter. http://www.thebulletin.be/
*See the Housekeeping section for more information on Dienstencheques.