Auckland preview

New Zealand

Auckland is an amazing city in which to retire – gorgeous scenery, neighbourhoods packed with cafes and galleries and a relaxed, safe lifestyle. Unfortunately, New Zealand does not have a specific “Retiree” immigration category and does not encourage immigrants to come to the country to retire. This is because New Zealand is far more interested in immigrants who will add to the country’s work force than those who may take resources from the country.

If you are aged 66 and over then you have a few options; the Parent Retirement Category, the Temporary Retirement Category or the Investor Plus Category. If you are aged 65 or under, then you may be able to retire to New Zealand via the Investor Category or the Investor Plus Category.

Parent Retirement Category

  • Requirements: Must meet standard health and character requirements.
  • Must have an adult child living in NZ who is either a permanent resident or citizen.
  • Your family centre of gravity must be in NZ.
  • You must transfer funds/assets of at least NZ$1 million for investment funds, NZ$0.5 million for settlement funds and when you apply must be earning an annual income of at least NZ$60,000.
  • If approved for a visa, you must keep your investment funds in an approved investment in NZ for a minimum of 4 years after moving here.

If you meet the requirements above and want to apply so that you can join your children in New Zealand, you need to complete the form Parent Retirement Category Residence Application (INZ 1170) PDF.

For every person included in the application you must provide:

  • two passport-size photographs
  • photocopies of the identity pages of their passport
  • a full birth certificate
  • a completed medical and chest X-ray certificate
  • a completed police certificate
  • if coming with a partner - partnership evidence is required proving a stable relationship for at least 12 months
  • evidence of adult child's NZ immigration status, which can be original or certified copies of their valid NZ passport, their Certificate of NZ Citizenship, a recent official statement confirming their citizenship from the Department of Internal Affairs, their NZ birth certificate, a current New Zealand residence permit or residence class visa or New Zealand returning resident’s visa in their passport, or a valid Australian passport
  • evidence your adult child is actually residing in NZ - original or certified copies of correspondence (including post-marked envelopes) addressed to you from NZ, employment references, rates demands, income tax returns, mortgage documents, or documents showing household effects have been moved to NZ
  • evidence of your family's NZ 'centre of gravity'
  • evidence of the relationship between you and your children - original or certified copies of birth certificates, household registration documents, evidence of adoption
  • evidence of where all your other children are lawfully and permanently living - original or certified copies of their passport or passport pages showing their identity and residence status, letters or other documents showing that permanent residence in another country has been granted, a passport or passport pages showing identity and citizenship, naturalisation or citizenship certificates, employment references, rates demands, income tax returns, mortgage documents, documents showing that household effects have been moved to that country, any other documents or evidence that prove they are actually living in that country
  • evidence of your funds and/or assets - original or certified copies of bank books/statements, property title deeds, property valuation reports from independent registered adviser, mortgage documents showing any liability incurred on the property, share certificates, share printout reports, share trading cards, a recent statement by a registered share broker or chartered accountant that certifies the current market value of your shares and/or bonds, documents of business ownership, or financial interest in a company/business and an independent valuation of the company/business by a chartered accountant (or appropriate person), including details of any mortgages, loans, or other financial obligations, Other assets eg gold bullion need evidence of ownership, and a recent independent market valuation
  • evidence of earning or acquiring funds and/or assets - you need to provide a summary of …

Purchase to read full guide