Sometimes before people move abroad, they have a romanticized view of expat life that includes luxurious trips, unique old streets, and flavorful cuisine in some exotic place. Although this can certainly be true for many expats and it is incredible to live abroad, there are challenges as well that come with the territory. No lifestyle is perfect – expat life is just different.
Furthermore, what’s frustrating is that living in another country can get lonely and downright frustrating at times, and people back home usually cannot relate to daily struggles. Plus, not everyone’s family and friends thought it was a good idea so it’s hard to confide in them later when things get tough.
Let’s take a look at some common difficulties expats face when living abroad in a foreign country and some solutions….
Isolation & Loneliness
Living abroad as an expat can be a rewarding experience with many facets. Experiencing something new can bring a sense of novelty and excitement, especially when it involves an unfamiliar setting. You might revel in a surge of joy when you first arrive, soar with the freedom of infinite possibilities and feel alive like never before! Sure, relocating to a foreign land comes with its perks, but what sometimes happens is a sort of emotional hangover once the excitement wears off and it can leave you feeling lonely.
Depending on the country and culture, you may find it difficult to make friends and talk to new people, especially if you’re naturally shy or introverted or simply don’t feel comfortable expressing yourself in another language. Some people find it difficult to cope with this and resort to staying home alone instead of putting themselves out there to meet new people. Unfortunately, loneliness can lead to frustration and also bouts of depression.
Trying to learn the local language can be difficult at first and make you feel self-conscious in everyday settings and especially within a social context. Sure, writing and speaking in a foreign language can be super fun and rewarding, but having to speak in that language for an extended period of time on a daily basis can be draining.
Plus, it can be downright frustrating when you really need something simple, not to be able to express yourself for basic things when you first move abroad. In the workplace, this can cause anxiety in terms of performance and add extra pressure when it comes to connecting with colleagues.
Visa & Financial Difficulties
Moving to a new country can involve significant costs and additional bureaucratic headaches such as visas or work permits. From securing a new residence when you don’t have credit in a new country to covering associated expenses or managing your dietary and resource requirements, it can be complicated, not to mention costly. In some countries, rent may require multiple months and a deposit upfront. Also, furnishing a home or flat is expensive and if you’re in a city with expensive restaurants, bars, activities may not be feasible with limited financial resources.
Taxes and handling fees can be difficult to navigate if you are unfamiliar with the local customs. It is advisable to seek financial advice and plan your expenses accordingly. Unclear instructions can lead to confusion regarding filing requirements. Navigating visa procedures in a foreign country can be challenging, especially when needing outside assistance.
Unexpected financial issues and uncertainty can bring about stress, concern, and uncertainty that are difficult to manage.
7 Ways Life Coaching and EFT Tapping might help you:
It might be that a new environment and culture are creating insecurities you might not have had in your home country. Moving abroad for a new job can mean huge pressure and responsibility to prove yourself. When relocating to another country, many individuals experience feelings of distress due to factors such as social disconnection, cultural disparities, or adapting to workplace culture. Since, unsurprisingly, all of this change can be extremely stressful and create additional anxieties, reaching out for guidance can be extremely helpful.
If you’re an Expat or Digital Nomad feeling overwhelmed with the challenges of adjusting to a new culture and environment, then coaching and possibly EFT can help you. If you struggle with confidence and self-doubt when it comes to navigating your new life abroad, coaching and EFT tapping can provide you with the tools and support you need to overcome these common challenges and build confidence in your new life. When you’re far from home, it can be tough to build relationships and find a sense of community.
- Overcoming cultural differences and language barriers: Transformational Coaching can help you navigate the unique challenges of adapting to a new culture, and EFT tapping might reduce stress and anxiety related to these changes.
- Building confidence and self-esteem: Moving abroad can be overwhelming, especially if you’re unsure of what the future holds for you. Coaching and even EFT tapping may help you build confidence in yourself and your new life abroad. You can learn how to embrace challenges, stay focused on achieving your goals, and gain the courage to take risks.
- Managing stress & anxiety: Life abroad is full of unknowns and can be quite overwhelming. Coaching and EFT tapping might help you develop healthy coping strategies to manage stress, anxiety, and other difficult emotions that come with living abroad.
- Finding community & connection: It can be tough to build relationships and find a sense of community when you’re far from home. Coaching and EFT tapping could help you develop the social confidence skills to create meaningful connections and build a supportive network in your new home.
- Developing a sense of purpose and identity: It can be difficult to adjust to life abroad after leaving your old home and community behind, especially when you move abroad to follow a partner or spouse. Coaching and EFT tapping could help you find clarity, purpose, and direction in your new life so that you can create a strong sense of identity.
- Developing healthy habits: Living abroad can make it tough to stick to your regular routines and develop healthy habits. With the help of a coach, you can learn how to set realistic goals and establish healthy habits that will help you adjust to life abroad. Coaches can also provide tips on how to stay organized and stay accountable, manage your time effectively, and prioritize self-care so that you can enjoy your new life.
- Developing resilience and adaptability: The life of an Expat or Digital Nomad is constantly changing, but coaching and EFT tapping might help you develop the resilience and adaptability you need to thrive.
Ultimately, life coaching and EFT tapping might provide you with the support and skills you need to adjust to life abroad. These tools can help you reduce stress, build confidence, manage difficult emotions, find community, and develop a sense of purpose.
Adjusting to a new lifestyle can be both exciting and challenging for Expats and Digital Nomads. Many encounter imposter syndrome and anxiety and have difficulty with confidence in a different environment.
It’s important to take the time to reflect on your experience, develop self-awareness, and practice self-care. Coaching and EFT tapping can help you gain clarity about what matters most to you, prioritize your needs and desires, and create an action plan for how
Ready to see how life coaching & EFT tapping might help you? Schedule a discovery call with Andrea now!
This Article Was Provided by Andrea Hunt
Andrea Hunt is a transformational life coach and EFT practitioner who typically works with professional expats and digital nomads or people who are trying to find the courage to take that big leap abroad.
She helps clients using mindset coaching and the Emotional Freedom Technique known as EFT Tapping. It’s a mind body technique to clear emotional blocks to their confidence. This empowers them to overcome sabotaging beliefs, and insecurities, by playing it small, and staying stuck in old patterns.
Follow Andrea Hunt on social media:
Important Note: Please talk to your therapist or counselor if you are undergoing psychiatric treatment before undertaking any sort of new mindfulness technique including EFT tapping. We do NOT endorse any medical treatments or therapies. We are only providing some general information and this article was not produced by our website or firm. Your use of any therapy or treatment is solely your responsibility.