There are a number of babysitting options in Tokyo, including:
JAPAN BABYSITTER’S SERVICE
24-hour service, specializing in newborns to 6-year-olds.
Foreign-language sitters available.
Annual members fee: 20,000 yen.
Charges: 4,200 yen for 3 hours and 1,200 yen for each additional hour.
Sitters available on a part-time or regular basis.
Will pick children up after school. English-speaking sitters available.
Charges: 1,300 yen to 1,700 yen per hour depending upon time of day.
TOKYO DOMESTIC SERVICE CENTER
Started 37 years ago. All sitters have over 10 years experience.
English-speaking sitters available if requested in advance.
TOM SAWYER AGENCY
Can provide a sitter around the clock for newborns to 12-year-olds.
Annual members fee: 10,000 yen (entitles the customer to discount rates)
Charges: 3,000 yen for 3 hours and 1,200 yen for each additional hour.
Call by 8 pm the day before to book.
Other options for locating a babysitter include:
- Fodors Forums: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia/english-speaking-babysitters-in-tokyo.cfm
- Metropolis Magazine Classifieds: http://metropolis.co.jp/default.asp
- Tokyo Kijiji: http://tokyo.kijiji.co.jp/f-babysitter-child-Default-W0QQKeywordZbabysitterQQlangZen
- Tokyo Notice Board: http://www.tokyonoticeboard.co.jp/
- Tokyo with Kids: http://www.tokyowithkids.com/babysitters/comm_services.html