Night Life in Sydney
There are lots of opportunities for expats to meet other expats from similar or different backgrounds. Sydney is a highly transient city and most expats are keen to meet other similarly placed people. Cultural institutions can be a valuable resource for expats. They can keep you informed of expat cultural events and will provide an opportunity to meet with others with the same cultural background. Contacting your consulate is also useful. See our section on Consulates for website details.
- Italian Institute of Culture Sydney http://www.iicsydney.esteri.it/IIC_Sydney
- Alliance Francaise http://www.afsydney.com.au
- The American Society of Sydney http://www.americansociety.com.au
Interestingly, there is no UK government cultural institution in Australia. This is because British expats transition easily into Australia because of the existing British expat population of over 1 million and an additional 600,000 UK expats traveling to Australia every year.
How to Find Clubs, Bars and Live Music
There is a large range of clubs and bars to go to in Sydney. On In The Mix you can find out what is happening around the city in the club scene. City Search is also a good website to search for gigs and clubs. Street press like Drum Media, The Brag and 3D World are free publications distributed around the city which have information and reviews of what’s on in Sydney in terms of festivals, clubs, bars and live music.
- In The Mix http://www.inthemix.com.au
- City Search http://sydney.citysearch.com.au
- Drum Media (Free street newspaper)
- The Brag (Free street newspaper)
- 3D World (Free street newspaper)
MeetUps are a great way for expats to connect. You can join an existing group or start one of your own. The American Expat MeetUp group has been running for three years and has over 70 members. There are MeetUps for all kinds of groups and interests so it’s worth browsing the website to see what else you may be interested in.
- Sydney Expat Connection http://sydneyexpatclub.com
- International New In Sydney Meetup Group http://www.meetup.com/International-New-in-Sydney-Meetup-Group
- The Sydney Expat American Meetup Group http://www.meetup.com/sydney-expat-americans
There is also a social website called facetime.com.au which enables members to organize events and others can sign up to them. You have to become a member to sign up to events. http://www.facetime.com.au