Beauty and wellness is a fast-growing industry in Singapore, with significant attention being given to wellness by both industry and government, and vast media support for beauty and wellness issues. Furthermore, each of the major cultures has its own traditions related to beauty and wellness; therefore, innumerable beauty salons and health spas are available to cater to different people with different demands. As Asia is well known for its spa culture, a number of world-class spas have also sprung up, offering services ranging from Balinese massage to Japanese hair treatment to Scandinavian skincare.
While beauty salons abound and can be found in every shopping center, residential district, and business area, a few are especially known as good choices within the expatriate community.
- Visage The Salon: London-trained hairdresser Dominic, experienced with Caucasian hair, offers styling, cuts, color, and full makeovers. The salon also offers beauty therapies, massage, manicures, pedicures and Brazilian wax. 402 Orchard Rd, #02-11 Delfi Orchard, Tel: 6733 0933.
- Le Papillon: A leading expat hairdressing salon led by experienced New York hairdresser, Cedric, a top colorist specializing in Caucasian hair and specialist hair care products. The decadently decorated salon is highly popular with expats. 600 North Bridge Rd, Park View Sq, #01-01, Tel: 6392 3886.
- Casey Inc. Hair & Beauty: A popular Orchard Road hair salon with expertly-trained hairdressing stylists, many specializing in Caucasian hair. Hair, face, nails and body treatments. 390 Orchard Road, Palais Renaissance #03-01, Tel: 6235 5328,
- Sweeny’s Hair & Beauty Corner: Located conveniently in Holland Village, Sweeny’s has been a popular haunt for many expatriates for many years, #03-28 Holland Road Shopping Centre, Tel: 6468 1795
- Toni & Guy Hairdressing: An international company with professional expertise in all aspects of haircutting and coloring, locations at The Mandarin Gallery, 333A ORCHARD ROAD, Tel: 6835 4556; 170 East Coast Road, Tel: 6345 0208; 24B Lorong Mambong in Holland Village, Tel: 6466 2660; 405 River Valley Road, Tel: 6736 2533 and #02-01 Rochester Mall, Tel: 6684 9338.
- The Hair Shop: A salon specializing in hair extensions, cuts, and color, known also to be great for clients with curly hair, Paragon, 290 Orchard Road #05-32, Tel. 6732 3773
Singapore’s spas are known for their top-rated services. In addition to those listed below, nearly every major hotel in Singapore includes a full-service spa. While many are quite expensive, their services are largely top-notch.
- Aramsa, The Garden Spa: Nestled within Bishan Park. This spa allows spa goers to enjoy a resort like ambiance right in Singapore. Also has a selection of dining options. Bishan Park II, 1382 Ang Mo Kio Ave 1, Tel: 6456 6556.
- Basic Essence: A holistic spa and wellness centre offering reiki, yoga and meditation classes for health and well-being. 501 Bukit Timah Road #02-21 Cluny Court, Tel: 6468 4991.
- Belle Reve: Offers waxing, facials, brow and lash tinting, manicures and pedicure. 131 Tudor Court, 02-19, Tel: 6738 7083
- Estheva Spa: From basic massages, jetlag therapy and facials for busy executives, to highly indulgent spa escapes for the sophisticated holiday makers, 390 Orchard Road, #03-01/02 Palais Renaissance, Tel: 6733 9300
- Rustic Nirvana: Offers traditional cross cultural therapies with a contemporary twist. Rustic Nirvana Cantonment, 25 Cantonment Road, Tel: 6227 9193.
- Spa at Loewen Gardens: Boutique style salon in the Dempsey area, owned, managed and run by a team of highly trained expatriate beauty therapists and local manicurists, Decleor treatments, waxing, manicures and pedicures. 75 E Loewen Road, Tanglin Village, Tel: 6471 1922.
- Spa Botanica at The Sentosa Resort and Spa: The Spa gardens are a retreat of spirituality balanced with nature. They offer guests a unique experience of indoor and outdoor spa treatments and activities within a tropical landscape. Located on Sentosa Island. By appointment, Tel: 6371 1318.
- Spa Esprit: Day spa featuring unique aromatherapy and herbal treatments. Open 7 days a week. 290 Orchard Rd, #05-09/11 Paragon Shopping Centre and 18A Lorong Mambong, Holland Village, Tel: 6836 0500 / 6468 1292.
- The MedSpa: Provides state-of-the-art skin treatment for face and body employing medical grade skincare and the most advanced equipment to revitalize and rejuvenate skin. #12-03 Camden Medical Centre, Tel: 6887 3087.
- The Sentosa Resort & Spa: Situated amidst natural tropical woodlands and in the middle of pristine nature, just minutes away from the city centre. 2 Bukit Manis Road, Sentosa, Tel: 6275-0331.
The massage industry in Singapore offers a wide array of choices. In addition to the full-service salons listed above, numerous massage-only outlets scattered throughout the city offer services ranging from traditional Chinese medicine massage to Javanese massage to Swedish massage to Balinese massage. All are good in their own sense, but Chinese traditional and Thai tend to be more intense (and sometimes painful), as they claim to heal your body through powerful massage. By contrast, Swedish massage is the most sensual and alluring. There are also a few things to note. A host of illegal massage parlors offering sexual services have been on the rise recently, despite numerous police raids. These parlors are usually clustered in Geylang, the red-light district in Singapore. A few other more daring ones have situated themselves in Joo chiat and Orchard areas. If you find a massage parlor suspicious, chances are it is illegal.
Below is a list of recommended and certified clean massage parlors and reflexology outlets:
- Knead: Knead at Holland Village. Quality massage, physiotherapy and beauty at great prices! Treatments include various massages for aching bodies, Chinese physiotherapy for sports injuries or joint pain, professional facials, ear candling and more, Tel: 6467 0323.
- Integrated Energy: The Therapy Centre: Offers deep tissue body therapy, sports massage, holistic aromatherapy, manual lymph drainage, reflexology, sports nutrition and clinical nutrition. #06-31 Tanglin Shopping Centre, Tel: 6887 3212
- Benjaphan Thai Herbal Spa: The spa offers massage therapy and body treatments. King’s Arcade, 559 Bt Timah Rd, #03-02, Tel: 6469 7622
- Body System Therapy: Orthopedic massage for soft tissue pain and injuries by US- and UK-certified therapists. 19 Tanglin Shopping Centre #06-04/05, Tel: 6732 1005
- Daren Chinese Physician: Treats body aches through acupuncture. De-stress and traditional Chinese massage available as well. 19 Tanglin Road, #03-12 Tanglin Shopping Centre, Tel: 6736 1686
- Heritage – Traditional Javanese Massage: Offers body massages, rubs and foot reflexology. 10E Sixth Avenue, #01-03 and 709 East Coast Road, Singapore, Tel: 6467 3306
- The Med: Offers various different massages and reflexology treatments as well as deep lymphatic drainage massages, # 12-03 Camden Medical Centre, Tel: 6887 3087
- Therapeutic Bodywork: Aromatherapy and deep tissue remedial massage. 19 Tanglin Road, #06-08 Tanglin Shopping Centre, Tel: 6887 4544
Reflexology (zone therapy) is an alternative medicine method involving the practice of massaging, squeezing, or pushing on parts of the feet, or sometimes the hands and ears, with the goal of improving general health. It is a popular wellness practice in Singapore, and many expatriates who try it continue to use reflexology services. Some reflexology outlets also offer manicure / pedicure services, while others are solely dedicated to the therapy services. Many of the reflexology services popular with expatriates are clustered in Holland Village.
- Earth Element: Earth Element uses natural masks, scrubs, lotions and aromatherapy for hand and foot care. Offer manicures, pedicures, nail repairs and art as well as foot reflexology and massage. B2-07A Bukit Timah Plaza and #03-16 Holland Rd Shopping Centre, Tel: 6467 9471 / 6464 7101
- Footworks@Jelita: Foot reflexology and body Shiatsu massage at Cold Storage Jelita Shopping Centre, 293, Holland Rd, #02-11, Tel: 6463 0555
- Footworks@Orchard: Foot reflexology and body Shiatsu massage at International Building 360 Orchard Rd, #01-04/05/06, Tel: 6463 0555
- My Happy Feet: Offers services including foot reflexology, body massage and a fish spa, where small fish nibble away dead skin, 29c Lorong Liput, Holland Village, Tel: 6462 0525
Manicures / Pedicures
Specialized mani / pedi services, or ‘nail bars’ are widely available throughout the city. A number are clustered on the third floor of Holland Village, and many other major shopping centers also house full-service mani / pedi shops. A few of the following are particularly popular with expatriates:
- Earth Element: Earth Element uses natural masks, scrubs, lotions and aromatherapy for hand and foot care. Offer manicures, pedicures, nail repairs and art as well as reflexology and massage. B2-07A Bukit Timah Plaza and #03-16 Holland Rd Shopping Centre, Tel: 6467 9471 / 6464 7101
- Flair Nails & Beauty Services: Manicures and pedicures for women, men and kids, as well as nail art, waxing and massages. 18 Holland Grove Rd, Tel: 6468 3989
- Nail Culture: All types of manicure and pedicure, also offers express nail painting. 1 Kim Seng Promenade, Great World City, #B3-01, Tel: 6732 0320
- Nail Evolution: Specializes in creative nail design products and nail acrylic nails, #02-27B, Raffles City Shopping Centre, 252 North Bridge Road, Tel: 6338 3830
- Periwinkle Nail Salon: Nail salon at Jelita within the Guardian Pharmacy store, 239 Holland Road, Jelita Shopping Centre, #02-10, Tel: 6468 2468
- Pink Parlour Pte Ltd: A 2006 Harpers Bazaar winner, this boutique parlor specializes in facials, waxing, massage and nails, 63 Kim Yam Road, Tel: 6836 9796.
- Serendipity, The Nail Spa: A high-end nail salon with a spa-treatment environment and all natural ingredients. 10A Lorong Mambong, Holland Village, Tel: 6468 6826
- Simply Nails: Specializes in acrylic and sculptured nails, fiberglass nails, and manicures, pedicures and nail art and design. #02-21 Holland Road Shopping Centre, Holland Village, Tel: 6462 4565 / 9695 0813