As your life as an ex-pat begins, staying connected with family and friends around the world is a crucial factor. Knowing that you can call up a friend or family member at any time, makes ex-pat life more comfortable and you won’t feel like you’ve moved to another galaxy.
Malaysia’s country code is +60
- DiGi offers the fastest download speed in Malaysia and is a popular choice.
- Celcom has the best 4G/LTE coverage.
Check their websites for the latest plans and offers.
Internet is another essential component for a smooth transition to ex-pat life. If you work online, you must be connected and have excellent upload and download speeds. There are numerous internet cafes in Kuala Lumpur and you won’t have any issues finding free WiFi around the city. Check out coffee outlets like Starbucks or Coffee Bean.
Free WiFi is also available at airports.
If you have moved into a flat and need WIFI at home, there are a few companies that will get you connected. You will need your passport and Residence Permit to get a contract. Contracts are usually for 24 months and include a TV.
The top three providers are:-
- Time Fibre Home Internet is one of the most popular providers with fast secure fiber optic internet connections.
- TM Unifi is another popular internet provider.
- Maxis offers super fast fiber internet.
Check their websites for current plans on offer.
In the age of Spotify and Apple Music, the radio may not be your bag but if you would like to listen to some local sounds then Hot FM might be for you. It is the most popular radio station in Malaysia.
Fly FM is another hugely popular station with all the latest music and news.
Of course, with today’s technology, you will have no trouble tuning in to your favorite radio station from home.
- The Star is a daily newspaper with all the latest news in English. It is one of the most popular publications.
- Malaysia News is a daily newspaper with the latest stories in English, Malay, Chinese, and Tamil.
- The Malaysian Reserve is a daily business newspaper in English.
- The Sun Daily is a daily newspaper with all the news in English.
Of course, you can always stay connected with your home publications as well.
- Time-Out Kuala Lumpur is available online and you can also pick up an English version around town. It is the must-have weekly guide for keeping up with concerts, cinemas, restaurants, bars, and all events in Kuala Lumpur.
- KL-The Guide has a wealth of information about everything to do and see in Kuala Lumpur.
You won’t be deprived of any of your favorite programs as Netflix, HBO, and Hulu are all accessible through your internet provider.