If you plan to stay in Hong Kong for more than one year, you must obtain a local driving license from the outset. The good news is that for most expats taking a driving test is not required and a full list of countries to which this applies can be found here:http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_services/licences_and_permits/vehicle_and_driving_licences/index.html

Click on “How to Apply for a Driving License” and then “Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving License Holders”.

All you need to do is to bring your overseas driver’s license to the Hong Kong Licensing Office, address below, with the following documents:

  • Your passport Your Hong Kong identity card.
  • Two passport-size photographs.
  • Proof of a residential address in Hong Kong issued within the last 3 months (e.g. gas or electricity bills).
  • An officially certified translation of your driving license is also required if it is in a language other than English or Chinese.

You will also have to pay the fee of HK$900 for a 10-year driving license and complete application form TD 063A, which can be downloaded at the link cited above. If you are above the age of 70 and require a license you will have to TD 256 which has to be completed by a registered medical examiner who has examined and declared the applicant to be fit enough to drive.

For people who hail from countries which are not eligible for the issue of full driving license without a test, they have to first apply for a temporary driving license to take the relevant driving test. Thereafter they are issued a probationary driving license and after a period of 12 months on the probationary driving license, if they satisfy all the conditions, they can apply for a full driving license.

For more information:
Hong Kong Transport Department
Tel: 2804 2600

Hong Kong Licensing Office
3/F, United Centre
95 Queensway

For new/young drivers

You can apply to get a driving license in Hong Kong if you are over 18 years of age and in good physical condition. You have to first apply for a learner’s license via form TD555 (you have to submit residential proof and a copy of of HK ID card when you apply for this form). This form has to be in submitted in person or by post. After which you have to take your driving test.

Physical fitness requirements can be found at Physical fitness requirements.

If you successfully pass the driving test you are issued with a probationary driving license with which you have to drive for the mandatory probationary period of 12 months. At the end of the probationary period if you satisfy all the necessary conditions you can apply for a full driving license.

Details of the entire process are explained on the website of the Hong Kong Transport Department at Procedures for obtaining a full driving licence.