|Type of housing||General comments||Advantages||Weaknesses|
|Apartments in houses||The houses in Chicago have all the same floor plans: rather long and narrow but on several floors (basement, first, second and third floor). Therefore in some houses, each floor is an apartment. In some cases, the owner of the house may live on one of the floors. Sometimes, the owner may only rent the basement that is fully equipped but does not get any light.||– Even if you live in an apartment, you will have all the benefits of the house, i.e. a terrace, a small garden. It is very nice for families with children.|
– The price might be interesting according to where you live in.
|– These kinds of houses may be very old. Be aware of the heating system. The winters in Chicago are rather cold and long.|
– You might have to share the washing machine and dryer with other tenants.
– The house might not have indoor parking or not even a parking area at all. You will have to either rent a parking space elsewhere or park in the street. You have to take into consideration the weather conditions, especially in winter when cars can be stuck in the snow in just a couple of hours. In the morning, people shovel the snow to clear their car.
– If you choose an area close to a University (for example Lincoln Park is nearby DePaul university), these apartments are often rented by several students … and they may have parties and make noise.
|Apartments in buildings (condos)||Very nice for couples with or without young children.||– Most of the time, apartments come with an indoor parking lot, which makes life easier especially in winter.|
– Access to a fitness room in the amenities, but not always.
|– The rent might be expensive.|
– There are no gardens and terraces for the children to play outside.
|Houses||You can find single-family homes inside Chicago and Chicago suburbs.||– A terrace, a garden or an outdoor space for the children to play, for BBQ or just having a rest outside in summer.|
– More interior space.
|– Check if there is an indoor parking area that is included with the house or not – for the same reasons specified above.|
– You have to look after the garden or outside space during winter (snow) and summer (watering, mowing).