There are many bars, clubs and pubs in Brussels, so much so that it is difficult to name any single area where expats go. Below, though, are some popular areas where you are sure to find a concentration of expats.
Below is a list of some of the more popular hang-out areas, with good happy-hours, bars, restaurants and night-clubs.
- Place Luxembourg – Popular expat hang-out square just outside the European Parliament building with outdoor cafes and bars in the Ixelles area. Brussels 1050.
- Schuman (European District) – A relatively quiet area of Brussels but teeming with bars, for the large part Irish. This is a very popular place with expats as it is close to where many work, and service is guaranteed in English. As a result, the clientele is largely English-speaking.
- La Grand Place – The biggest square in western Europe with outdoor cafes and bars in the city centre. Brussels 1000.
- Place Flagey – Popular square with cafes and bars very popular with expats, also in Ixelles. Brussels 1050.
- Place Chatelain – Popular hang-out in the student part of the city with many bars and restaurants. Also in Ixelles. Brussels 1000.
- Archiduc -Typical Belgian bar open daily from 4pm-5am. Rue Antoine-Dansaert 6, Brussels 1000. Website: http://www.archiduc.net/
- Belga Queen – Restaurant/bar/club in the city that is typically Belgian and very popular with expats. Rue Fosse aux Loups 32, Brussels 1000. Website: http://www.belgaqueen.be/default.asp
- Mappa Mundo – Bar/club with Latin music and excellent mojitos and caipirinhas. Karperbrug 2, Brussels 1000. Telephone: 025143555
- The Mirano Club – Popular “Dirty Dancing” club in the city. Chaussee du Louvain 38, Brussels 1210. Website: http://www.cityplug.be/nl/Brussel/ROULQRSH_Uitgaan_Dirty-Dancing-Mirano-Continental_extLink.html
- The Havana Club – Popular disco club in the centre of town. Rue de l’Epee 4, Brussels 1000. Website: http://www.havana-brussels.com/
- La Patinoire – Dance club and restaurant near the city centre. Bois de la Cambre 1, Brussels 1000. Website: http://www.lapatinoire.be/
- Les Yeux d’Hiver – Dance club where you can also have private parties. Chemin de Croquet 1, Brussels 1000. Website: http://www.jeuxdhiver.be/
- Show Brazil – Brazilian restaurant/cabaret bar. Rue de la Fourche 17, Brussels 1000. Website: http://www.show-brazil.be/en/Presentation.htm
Below is a list of websites you can use to find out what is happening in Brussels.
Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/cities/be/brussels/groups) can provide a wonderful resource when looking to make new friends and contacts in Brussels. There are groups centered around interests, languages, sports and more. Below are three of the groups geared towards international residents who hold monthly social events.