Language Guide Vancouver
There are two official languages in Canada: English and French. Most people in Western Canada speak mainly English and not much French. In Vancouver, people speak English, predominately, and more Mandarin or Cantonese (because of the large Asian population) than French (although there are French Immersion schools). Expat English-speakers will not, obviously, have a language issue, and there is no need to learn French or Mandarin unless one particularly wants to.
French-speakers relocating to Vancouver will usually not have a language issue either, as all government services and most Canadian websites are in both English and French, as are local product labels and signs. There are also Francophone schools for French-speaking children. Those without either language (or Chinese) will have a more difficult time and will need to learn English. In any case, a solid command of English is essential to living and work in BC. There are a number of good ESL and language schools in Vancouver, for both children and adults. Many times community centers and neighborhood houses offer ESL and/or Foreign Language classes as well.
UBC English Language Institute (ELI) — http://eli.ubc.ca/
ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROGRAMS
- Intensive English Program (IEP)
- Conditional Admission
- Internship Programs
- Language and Culture
- English for Business Communications
- English and University Culture
English Language Institute
UBC Continuing Studies
2121 West Mall
Vancouver English Centre — http://www.vec.ca/
Courses and Programs can be accessed here: http://www.vec.ca/
250 Smithe Street
Full-Time English Courses
Full-time English courses at Inlingua Vancouver include 30 lessons or 40 lessons per week. Full-time English courses will include Inlingua speaking lessons in the morning and one or two elective lessons like grammar, business, listening, pronunciation, semi private lessons and more in the afternoon. They can also include One to One lessons like our ACP-Accelerated Communication Program.
- Intensive English course – 30 group lessons per week (average group size 10 to 12 students)
- Super Intensive English course – 40 group lessons per week (includes 10 semi private lessons)
- Accelerated Communication Program – 35 lessons per week (includes 5 one on one lessons)
There are also offer full-time specialized English courses. Some students need to prepare for official English language tests and courses to enter university or advance their career. Inlingua Vancouver offers test preparation courses for some of the major official tests.
- TOEFL iBT Preparation course – TOEFL internet Based Test – 30 lessons per week (average group size 10 to 12 students)
- Cambridge FCE Preparation course – Cambridge First Certificate in English – 30 lessons per week (average group size 10 to 12 students)
- Cambridge CAE Preparation course – Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English – 30 lessons per week (average group size 10 to 12 students)
- Business English course – 30 lessons per week (average group size 5 to 10 students)
Part-time English courses
Part-time English courses at Inlingua Vancouver include 20 lessons per week. Part-time English courses are in the morning or in the afternoon for students who want to improve their English language skills: Speaking, listening, pronunciation, grammar, reading, writing and vocabulary.
- Semi-Intensive English course AM – 20 lessons per week (average group size 10 to 12 students)
- Semi-Intensive English course PM – 20 lessons per week (average group size 10 to 12 students)
International Language Schools of Canada (ILSC) — http://www.ilsc.ca/
Programs and courses can be accessed here: http://www.ilsc.ca/language-program-courses.aspx
555 Richards Street
Phone: (604) 689-9095
Fax: (604) 683-0771
VanWest College— http://www.vanwest.com/vancouver.htm
Programs can be accessed here: http://www.vanwest.com/programs.htm
200 – 1016 Nelson Street
Foreign Language Schools/Classes
UBC Continuing Studies Languages, Cultures, and Travel — https://extendedlearning.ubc.ca/study-topic/languages
Courses at UBC Point Grey Campus
Classes are held on the third floor of the newly renovated Buchanan D Building.
An informal social event may also be arranged during the session to practise the language in a relaxed setting.
Courses at UBC Robson Square
Alliance Française Vancouver — http://www.alliancefrancaise.ca/
French language classes.
6161 Cambie Street
Vancouver, BC – V5Z3B2
Tel : 604 327 0201
Fax : 604 327 6606
International House Vancouver— http://www.languages-vancouver.com/index.php
Spanish, French, Japanese, Mandarin, Arabic, Farsi, Korean, Italian, Portuguese or German language classes.
Program schedule can be accessed here: https://www.languages-vancouver.com/
200-1215 West Broadway
Telephone : +1-604-739-9836
Vancouver Japanese Language School — http://www.vjls-jh.com/en/
Japanese lessons for beginners, those wanting to brush up, and Japanese-speaking children/students.
475 and 487 Alexander Streeet
Tel: (604) 254-2551
Fax: (604) 254-9556
- Vancouver Community Centres — http://vancouver.ca/Parks/cc/index.htm