Online Baby-sitter Providers
Care.com http://www.care.com/ (child care, special needs, tutoring and lessons, senior care, pet care, housekeeping).
- Free Basic: Limited access to caregiver profiles.
- Premium (1 month): $30, unlimited access to all caregivers and free background checks.
- Premium (3 months for the price of 2): $60, unlimited access to all caregivers and free background checks.
- Premium (12 months for the price of 4): $120, unlimited access to all caregivers and free background checks.
Baby-sitter Registry http://www.babysittersregistry.com
This website allows you to compare the main Chicago agencies between them.
Sitter City http://www.sittercity.com (nannies, baby sitters, elder care, pet sitter).
- Annual membership: $8.49 a month
- Monthly membership: $11.49 + $33.98 sign-up fee
Free trial for 7 days: you can post a job, receive application from candidates but you will have no access to their contact details. You will have to register to get them.
Other Means to Find a Baby-sitter
The best way to find the right babysitter is word of mouth. Ask your neighbors and mums at the school as they already know the neighborhood and probably know somebody close to your home who could babysit your children. It is customary in the US when you go out, you will have to drive the baby-sitter home. Therefore if she lives in the neighborhood, it can be extremely convenient for you but also helpful in case of unexpected events.
You can send an email explaining your need to the language department of some local Universities. It can be helpful to have a student who can express him/herself in the same language as your children, especially the first 6 months of your stay. After this period, they will probably speak perfect English (unless they already do) and you will be able to switch to an only English speaking babysitter.
DePaul University The DePaul University campus is located in Lincoln Park.
You can also put an ad at your expat community group or any other national network you belong to.
It is advised to have at least 2-4 baby-sitters contact details and make them all work regularly, as they are not always available when you need them.
The rates may vary with the age and the experience of the baby-sitter but also if you have one child or several children to babysit, and if they sleep or not.
- For one child: $10-$13 an hour
- For two children: $13-$15 an hour
- If the children sleep: $8-$10 an hour
Those rates are just a guideline. The Sitter City website can help you to determinate how much to pay hourly according to your own criteria