Expat Healthcare Insurance in Canada: Guide published

UK newspaper, the Telegraph has published a comprehensive guide to expat healthcare insurance in Canada. Their main findings include the following:

Canada’s healthcare providers are private and cost can vary according to location.
There are some exemptions for students, unemployed, the elderly and the poor but expats are highly unlikely to qualify for these.
Expats will be expected to pay National Insurance contributions and these will be deducted from their salary.
All expats need healthcare insurance. Expat’s are not required to show evidence of healthcare upon arrival in the country but are required to purchase some type of global health insurance, temporary or permanent, within five days of arrival. If they do not do this they may be refused any type of medical insurance and may be forced to leave the country.
Those purchasing temporary health insurance coverage are advised to get cover that lasts at least three months.
Once you have adequate expat insurance you will be provided with a health insurance card. You will be required to produce this when seeking medical help and should never share it with anyone else.
Medical insurance is generally provided to cover a province or territory; if you plan on traveling within Canada you will need additional cover.
If you are moving to Canada then you may benefit from purchasing an international relocation guide. We currently have a guide to living in Toronto and a guide to living in Vancouver. Both offer comprehensive details about expat insurance in these cities and surrounding provinces and provide advice about which providers to use together with full information about the type of insurance to purchase and how to do so. You can buy our guides online now and receive an instant 20% price reduction if you complete a short questionnaire.

Read the full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/expathealth/7949665/Expat-guide-to-Canada-health-care.html

Author: ExpatInfoDesk