Posted by Sean 5th August 2018 08:50 GMT, 0 repliesFilters: Shanghai Tax

This is a great site and thanks in advance for your advice. I am trying to determine tax implications if I take up a full-time job in China (I am a US Citizen). Here is the example scenario.

Annual Salary+Bonus (Excluding expenses paid by company for rent/school etc.) - $200K
Taxes paid in China@20% - 40K

US tax calculation (approximate)
200K-108K(FEIE) = 92K
US taxes on the remainder = 92K*33% = 30K (approx)
China taxes already paid on remainder = 92*20% = 18K (approx)
Approx. Net US Tax payable = 30K-18K = 12K

Is this correct that I will have to pay the difference in income tax over 108K to the IRS?

Also, for tax purposes, does IRS consider actual Rent/School expenses paid by employer as income (this will not be considered income by the Chinese government AFAIK). tI would help me figure if this is a good offer or now. Thanks.

There are currently no replies for this topic, be the first to write one.

Post reply

Comment as a guest

Your comment will always be moderated though. Why not register?

Already registered? Sign-in

If you've already got an account with us you can sign-in below.

Please note we reserve the right to moderate all topics and replies posted.

Back to top