There really is nowhere on earth quite like Africa and the Middle East. The strong allure of the region lies in its fascinating history and distinctive culture, and expatriates living in this part of the world will enjoy a unique opportunity to experience raw beauty seamlessly integrated with a world that sometimes appears to be lost in time.
Where else in the world can you experience vast arid deserts inhabited by nomadic Bedouin, witness breathtaking views of wildlife basking on the sun-drenched plains and roam vast game parks? Where else can you wander through ancient ruins, from the miraculous pyramids to the elaborately adorned mosques; witness the legacies of Egyptian, Islamic, Christian, Persian and Roman civilizations or browse bustling medieval bazaars packed full of spirited people peddling their wares of exotic spices, beautifully handcrafted tapestries and local delicacies?
Living in Africa and the Middle East is not without its challenges. Strict local laws and religious and cultural sensitivities can represent a minefield to the uneducated expatriate and life can be challenging and frustrating at times. However, despite what you may have heard, Africa is not a living nightmare of war, crime and disease and life in the Middle East does not necessary represent a life following strict laws that leave very little room for fun and enjoyment. Life in this continent can be amazing and, providing you remain respectful of the laws and customs and take the necessary steps to protect your safety, you will find that living in this area of the world is exciting, enlightening, fascinating and intriguing.
If you are relocating to Africa or the Middle East, fasten your seatbelt and be prepared for an experience that will change your entire life.
Unlock the splendor of this surprising continent with our expatriate guides.
Visit our country pages
Recent article comments
- Randy Cone So is it better to let the SSA direct deposit to a foreign country, or deposit to a US bank and do the transfer yourself? Does SSA transfer US dollars or do they do a currency conversion? If they...
- david_romm As the son of Russian immigrants and a native Russian speaker, I greatly enjoyed myself in Divnogorsk. I felt like I had entered into a different lifestyle and it was painful to return back to the...
- Malcolm Martin im a britsh citizen living in usa with my wife and im disabled can i apply for carers allowance for my wife ?
- Luiz Antonio Kesselring Hi Derek, why don´t you exame the possibility of became a sailor? There is a lot of sites of couples living in a sailboat, luiz from Brasil...good luck
- Lilo Moura Thank you for your comments.