Living in Belgium is a popular choice for many expats. It is a relatively small but densely populated country with an estimated population of just over 10 million people. The country consists of three separate and almost autonomous regions each of which have different languages;
Belgium is rich in history as evidenced by beautiful buildings and works of art. It is also famed for its cuisine and many expats enjoy sampling the chocolate, waffles and delicious moules frites. A perfect accompa niment to these delicacies is Belgium beer with literally hundreds of different types being available throughout Belgium's major cities.
The majority of people living in Belgium practice Roman Catholicism (75%) with the remaining 25% being Protestant or following other religions.
The high standards of living in Belgium coupled with excellent health care, education and public facilities have made Belgium a popular destination for expats. The community of expats living in Belgium is currently estimated at approximately 750,000, almost a tenth of the population.
Belgium does experience difficulties with illegal immigrants and for this reason immigration laws have been tightened in recent years. EU citizens are able to enter and reside in the country without any difficulties but non-EU citizens may face significant challenges basing themselves here as an expatriate.
Although the standard of living in Belgium is very high, this is accompanied with a relatively high cost of living. In the 2012 Mercer cost of living Brussels did not feature in the top 50 most expensive cities in the world. For expatriates relocating from Europe it may offer a cheaper alternative than their home country and the fact that the currency of Belgium is the Euro entails that expats living in the country can benefit from the strength of the Euro when traveling throughout Europe and abroad. For full details of the cost of living in Belgium, please see our international relocation guides. They contain detailed information about living costs across different types of lifestyles and living options and because our guides are written by expats who live and work in the cities, you can be assured that the information is accurate.
Dutch (official) 60%, French (official) 40%, German (official) less than 1%, legally bilingual (Dutch and French).
People living in Belgium can expect temperate conditions with mild winters and cool summers that are rainy, humid and cloudy.
Nationals of the European Union have the right to live and work in Belgium with the only requirement being to register for a residence permit once a job has been located.
Unfortunately it is much more difficult for non-EU nationals to find work as potential employers are required to gain the approval of the local labor office before they can hire someone from abroad.
Belgium is a good destination for those looking for work in public affairs or social policy. However, many people in the country are bilingual and if you are only able to speak one language you may not be able to compete with other applicants. Opportunities also exist in high skill areas such as engineering and computing where labor shortages still exist, but again, you will be expected to be fluent in at least two languages.
Expat Info Desk currently has a city guide available for living in Brussels. This exhaustive guide contains everything you need to know about relocating to this Belgian city and will assist you to:
Unlike a book, the guides are regularly reviewed and updated in order to ensure that the information is accurate and reliable and because the guides are written by real expats who live and work in Brussels, you can be assured that you are accessing the information that you need as written by people who really are in the know.