Nobel prize winner Gabriel Garcia Marquez once referred to the “awesome reality” of South America. Encompassing thirteen countries that lie between the turquoise waters of the Caribbean, the deep seas of the Atlantic Ocean and the mighty Pacific, South America is a fascinating and beautiful area of the world that fits this description perfectly. A place where civilizations were born, grew and vanished, this continent harbors a magical and mysterious environment that lures expatriates from all over the world.
South America is perhaps one of the richest countries on the planet when it comes to beautiful natural scenery. From the breathtaking waterfalls of Iguazau on the boarder of Argentina and Brazil; to the magnificent glaciers, pristine lakes and vast, wind-swept vistas of South America’s most southern realms; to the expansive stretches of virgin beaches in Guyana, to the delicate ecosystem of the Amazon rainforest or the breathtaking salt flats of Bolivia, expatriates who live in this area of the world will find an endless array of some of the most magnificent sights imaginable.
The culture that is in evidence throughout the region is just as diverse as the landscape. In some areas of the country tribes live in exactly the same way as their indigenous ancestors, while others have become home to immigrants from Africa, Asia, Europe and North America. Each of these groups brings their own distinct culture and traditions and this has created a vibrant population that gives each country in the continent a unique and interesting flavor. Expatriates who call this area of the world home will have plenty of opportunity to really experience life living among different people and will have an incredibly rich experience.
Adventure is waiting in South America; go there with the Expat Info Desk.
Recent article comments
- Dimitrios Stefanou How can I open a usa bank account while I am retired overseas? I am a us citizen
- Petra Eva I am a 62-year-old in Germany with a good retirement income and global heath insurance and am thinking of relocating to South Africa. Since I have equity, I would like to know if it is possible for...
- Jerry Camp Is someone knows how much tax have to pay on social security ONLY having about $35,000/year?critical to me.
- Shanna Pugh-Champnoise Says in the article expats can but it must be paid for in cash and in full
- Randy Cone So is it better to let the SSA direct deposit to a foreign country, or deposit to a US bank and do the transfer yourself? Does SSA transfer US dollars or do they do a currency conversion? If they...