Often viewed as the crossroads of Europe, Belgium is a country where several different European cultures converge. Often viewed more ambivalently than its European neighbors, Belgium has a lot more to offer than first meets the eye.
Gastronomic delights are a plenty here and where enjoying food and beverages is an art de vivre. Expatriates who enjoy the finer things in life will be wowed by the artisan chocolates, street foods such as waffles or frites, fresh muscles washed down with the world-renowned Belgian beer or the local sweetened bread; aficionados will certainly not be disappointed.
In terms of weekend activities to keep expatriates busy, Belgium almost certainly punches above its weight. With more castles per square mile than any other country in the world and a range of abbeys, medieval cities, gothic cathedrals, World War I battlefield sites and museums to explore, Belgium is a place that history lovers can never exhaust. Those who prefer to live in the present will be equally delighted by the beautiful natural scenery on offer. From the dune-filled beaches to historic parklands, pristine lakes to dense pine forests and flower-filled hills to underground caves, Belgium may come as a bit of a surprise to those who are prepared to get out and about and explore the landscape.
Belgium offers expatriates a very rich cultural experience and enough sights, attractions, culture intricacies and entertainment to keep even the most demanding expatriates busy and fulfilled.
Moving to Belgium is the easy part. Facing the challenges of living there is another story. Make sure you are informed with the Expat Info Desk guide to living in Brussels.
Learn more on our Brussels Expatriate City Guide
Recent article comments
- berry snow i am dying to move to south korea when i am older (i want to go about 18 ys old) and i have been watching kdramas for years i really enjoy them 1000/10 and i am in love with bts and kpop, i really...
- humanlabrat What is a good rental website that has English support?
- Kennedy Gary Hey petra Eva! have you traveled to South Africa?
- Bobby Hadley I'm moving to Cebu in the Philippines I currently bank with chase bank what's the best option for this
- Roland Webster How did you get on? My wife and I are thinking of doing exactly the same and have the same questions. Could you please help us Thank you. Roland.