EEA Countries and Social Agreement Countries

Where in the world you live and work as a UK citizen will impact your entitlement to social security payments. If you are living abroad on a permanent basis you may be entitled to social security benefits and pension rises if you live in an EEA country, Switzerland, or a country that has a reciprocal social security agreement with the UK.

EEA Countries

  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden.
  • UK is also part of the EEA. UK means England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
  • Gibraltar is treated as another EEA country by the UK. Other EEA countries treat Gibraltar as part of the UK.
  • Switzerland is not an EEA country but is included in the majority of EEA rules governing social security.

See Living and working in the EEA for details of your social security requirements and rights.

Social Agreement Countries

The following countries have reciprocal social security agreements in place with the UK:
  • Barbados
  • Bermuda
  • Israel (the agreement with Israel applies to the territory administered by the Government of Israel on 19 July 1956)
  • Jamaica
  • Jersey and Guernsey
  • Isle of Man
  • Mauritius
  • Philippines
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • The separate republics of the former Yugoslavia that are not EU Member States (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, the Republic of Macedonia and Serbia).

See Living and Working in Social Agreement Countries.

Have a comment?

Do you have a comment about this article, a further question or even a correction? If so please do let us know. We may edit your comments and cannot guarantee that all comments will be published, please be nice!

Our Expat’s Manual is updated regularly so comments about the article may have already been addressed.